Welcome

Hey there fellow fashionistas. Welcome to A La Mode.

Photo: Dumbo, Brooklyn circa 2016. A trendy spot with great views of the Brooklyn Bridge. 

My name is Mekaylah and I'm 20 years old. I'm a college junior studying Communications with a minor in Digital Marketing (for the time being; my young-minded indecisiveness has already affected this multiple times). 
My plan: move to New York after college.
My goal: build a career somewhere within the realm of fashion/social media/pop culture.
My dream: come home to my luxurious penthouse apartment in nyc after casually spending another weekend feasting on (*prepare French accent*) croissants in Paris. Bonheur <3.

I've had an interest in fashion above all else for as long as I can remember, stemming from my mom's identical loving/addictive/therapeutic relationship with the mistress that is fashion. My mom never fails to tell of the daily difficulties of raising a mini diva and my incessant "But mom, I want to wear this and I want my hair like that" (sorry mom).

I don't seem to find an overwhelming presence of fashion junkies here in the midwest (especially on college campuses where "I just rolled outta bed and into class" thrives) and feel that it's important for those of us who are here to have a supportive space free of the simpleton mindset that says "she's so extra" and "who does he think he is." Go ahead and rock that faux fur to your 8 am honey!

The phrase "a la mode" means fashionable in French. Whereas us North Americans typically translate it as "with ice cream," (I wonder why we're collectively so unhealthy...) it in fact has no such cold, creamy, delicious meaning behind it.

A La Mode is where I'll be displaying cool looks I create and come across, particularly on campus.

Stay tuned,
xoxo

Comments