Logos

So this week, we created logos for our blogs. I had some creative difficulties during this project. I'm a fan of minimalism when it comes to logos. I would love a simple, black and white logo that reads "A La Mode." in a very thin, tall, stick-like font with white lettering against a black background made of some symmetrical geometric shape, and the signature period at the end of the text to give it some flare. However, for this assignment's sake, I figured that wouldn't quite cut it. So I ventured out just a bit, and I don't love what I created but they do deserve some degree of admiration by their creator. As I was creating these logos, I really wanted to incorporate red as a pop of color, as I see red being very reminiscent of fashion. I tried using red for the lettering but this left me with only white as a background color option, and once again, this seemed too simplistic for the assignment. So I decided to use red in the background and white for the lettering.
I loved the gradient effects, but the red and black together really shouts evil in my opinion and I did not like this at all. Factor in the triangular shape and suddenly I'm part of the illuminati. Still, using the gradient effect with the black edges looked more modern than having a plain red background. Additionally, when I downloaded this photo it decided to skew the lettering a bit in the word "MODE." and would not download correctly, so let's pretend the "M" and the "O" are shifted a few megapixels to the right where they belong.
Again, don't love this logo but at least it doesn't look evil. However, the more I look at it, I feel as though I've seen it before and I'm most likely ripping off someone's brand... (insert shrugging emoji). The unconscious mind does that to a person.. I definitely like the second more than the first, but if I were actually creating a brand or blog logo without my grade at question, I would definitely stick to an even more minimalistic style. Nevertheless, these logos do represent the theme of my blog. Fashion logos are typically very simplistic and mature. Calvin Klein, Louis Vuitton, Gucci, and magazines such as Vogue and Harper's Bazaar reinforce this ideal, and are some of my favorites.

Comments