Final Reflection

This semester has been a DOOZY. My most demanding semester thus far, and I am beyond elated for it to be ending.

Many of the assignments completed throughout this course consisted of utilizing online platforms I've never even heard of (i.e.: soundation) and certainly never used on my own accord. Most of the class was me dipping a toe into many different digital media resources and I don't feel particularly advanced in any area, but I've definitely gained some useful knowledge and experience. I'm majoring in Communications with a minor in Digital Marketing, so having some sort of experience in navigating different digital platforms across all mediums is extremely useful and necessary for my career and personal interests.

Although I am a "Gen-Z" or "Post-Millenial" and have grown alongside technology and the internet, I am a creature of habit, and never ventured too far into the abyss that is the WWW. Meaning, I'd typically stick to what I knew when it came to photo/video editing and use the simplest, easily navigable sites to create images digitally. After gaining experience using the resources discussed in class, I've learned that there are so many good options available I'm much more confident in my abilities.

One thing that I've never played around with prior to this class because of its intimidating interface is an advanced photo editor such as Pixlr Advanced or Photoshop. I thought it'd be way too difficult to navigate and I would never really need to. Suddenly, I find myself scouring through internships that all require some prior experience with Photoshop or other advanced photo editors. I'm very glad I was able to gain some knowledge in this area, but I definitely want to hone in on these skills and get a bit more comfortable with these platforms.

Another major lesson of this semester was just on the basic fundamental digital principles regarding pixels, file formats, storage utilization, etc. Prior to this class, JPG was just what was at the end of the file name on photos. I'm now able to apply meaning to these terms and make informed decisions when downloading/creating digital material.

Additionally, I've been interested in creating beats for quite some time, yet I've never actually gave it a go until this class. That was a very cool project and really got me excited to work on my own independent projects, as I learned it's much more simple than I had previously thought.

I don't plan on becoming a digital artist, but these skills are extremely useful for the field I'm entering. As previously mentioned, most of the careers in the Communications/PR/Media/Entertainment/Fashion/IDK What Career I'm Heading To require prior knowledge in using many of the resources we worked with during the semester. Even though this was just a simple entry-level art class, I'm very glad I took it as it got the momentum going regarding my digital media skills.

Comments